Thursday, October 29, 2015

Late Wednesday Night

Halloween is only two days away, and I still have not put together a costume or decided on what I'm doing! That's pretty spooky. I guess that means in order to do whatever it is I do end up doing, I’ll end up just rummaging through my closet for something very last minute, which usually means the cliche but tried and true Catholic school girl or a black cat or a very simple witch. All are okay, but I always mean to do something big and then Halloween sneaks up on me. Speaking of, however, my cat has been missing for the past couple of days, and Halloween can be a very dangerous time for black cats, as there are some seriously sick people out there. This has me insanely worried, and tomorrow I’m going to call around to nearby shelters and vets and see if anyone has seen her. All of our cats go in and out of the house as they please, and it’s not unusual to not see one of them for a day or two, but they always pop back up and she is not one to ever leave the yard. In fact, she’d never leave my bed if she could have it her way. I’m trying to stay positive, and she may end up back home between now and the morning or while I’m out tomorrow, but until I see her in person, I’m going to keep looking.

The Downtown Dining Week site has released the list of participating restaurants, but as of yet, the menus are not posted. I fully intend on making at least one meal (lunch or dinner) this year, preferably to somewhere I’ve never been, and reviewing it. I haven’t been since I blogged about my experiences in 2012 on my old blog, and I wish that I hadn’t deleted the whole thing, but it is what it is. Also, this year will be different as a lot has changed in the past three years. I've changed. For one, I’ll remember the experiences well enough to actually write about them, and not have blurry, drunken photos, nor will I be too drunk to even eat my food and run up a ridiculous bill when the three-course meals themselves are less than $21 (dinner = $20.15; lunch = $10.15) before tax. The concept is, they offer a choice of three courses: first is usually an appetizer, soup, or salad; second is the main entree; and third is desert. Some places mix it up and offer two entrees in lieu of an appetizer or desert, or other variations, but the idea is the same. The problem is (and I faced this in 2012 as well), the lack of vegetarian options. I was more pescetarian back then, but more recently have been trying to go completely vegan, and to eat fish would be like backtracking, in my opinion. These days, I usually reserve what little seafood I do allow for sushi. It makes for me not being the easiest dinner date, but I won’t compromise my beliefs for one meal. Either I can eat it or I can’t—I don’t fuss about it, but again, it does make my options pretty slim. This is usually why I make a point to go out to eat with other people, because then I can use them for their reviews. It’s pretty devious of me, actually.


In other news, my boss has asked me to put together a cutting class for my coworkers, because she seems to think I’m the best at men’s cutting, specifically with clippers. While I’m flattered, I’m also a bit confused. I’M the best at men’s cuts, when there are stylists here who have been doing hair longer than I’ve been alive? I suppose it comes down to, everyone has their own particular talent, and keeping up with the current trends. I do a lot of fades, and the classic barbershop styles are getting to be popular again. I’m not a barber, and there are certain things that they do that I cannot (not only because of licensing, but because I’ve just never tried), but I do have my own way of navigating around those things and putting my own spin to them. I’ve been watching YouTube videos to get ideas, specifically Schorem and the like. I’ll need to find a model, and one lady offered to let us use some old mannequins of hers. I want to practice styling before then, though, because I’m still learning all of the products that we carry, and if I’m going to teach a class, I want to walk through the entire process, from the shampoo to the finishing touches. I believe that is what makes the biggest difference in the customer’s experience, and, as a result, their happiness with you. I also need to find people to practice gel manicures on so that I can start offering that as a service, or at least being available as a backup if we get busy.

Anyway, it’s entirely too late and I have a color appointment bright and early! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment